The scientific field of “Mechanical Engineering” is included in the internationally established scientific fields of Higher Education, as defined by the international categorization of scientific fields in the education of UNESCO (ISCED 2013) in field 0715 – “Mechanics and metal trades”. More specifically, the specific field concerns the design, development, production, maintenance and monitoring of the operation of machines, mechanical installations, and systems. In addition, it includes the design and maintenance of machines for the production of goods and services. This scientific field focuses on the study of machines, mechanical systems and metal products.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering, along with those of Electrical & Computer Engineering and Civil Engineering, constitute the three Departments of the School of Engineering of the University of the Peloponnese (Law 4610/19 – Gazette A’ 70/07.05.2019), located in Patras. It originates from the evolution of the Department of Mechanical Engineering of KATEE (Law 1404/83, Founding Law-Framework), initially in the Department of Mechanical Engineering of the former Technological Educational Institution (TEI) of Patras and, later, in the Department of Mechanical Engineering of the former T.E.I. of Western Greece.
In the 38 years of its history, it trained and made available to the Greek society specialized professional scientists in the energy and construction field of mechanical engineering, which deservedly staffed private enterprises, as well as public sector services. More specifically, the Department has awarded 2534 TE Degrees and 515 KATEE Degrees.
After the passing of Law 2916/2001 on the structure of Higher Education and the upgrading of TEIs, the Department significantly strengthened its academics, producing recognized applied research and development work.
The recognition and acceptance of the Department’s work by employment agencies in the wider region of Western Greece are undeniable. In addition, the Department’s imprint on the local community is also very strong, mainly due to the important lifelong education and training activities it has developed, as well as the examinations for obtaining a professional license for technical professions that it systematically carries out.
The missions of the Department are as follows:
- Providing high-level cutting-edge education in the field of Mechanical Engineering, with the ultimate goal that the Department’s graduates have the necessary knowledge, judgment and skills to contribute to the development of businesses and organizations.
- Conducting research in the scientific field of Mechanical Engineering, with the ultimate aim of promoting the science of Mechanical Engineering (basic research) and developing innovative mechanical engineering systems, products and computational tools of mechanical engineering (applied research).
- Providing high level training and lifelong education in the field of Mechanical Engineering.
- Transfer of know-how to industry, helping to bridge the gap between education and production.
- Social contribution with actions related to the subject matter of the Department.
The vision of the academic community of the Department is to create highly trained Mechanical Engineers, awarding them a Diploma recognized both in Greece and internationally.
We wish to serve society by providing high-level teaching and research, contributing to the progress and development of the country and the development of science internationally.